11 Feb 2012

The one where I'm a massive snob

I have already given up on the course forum. I'm only checking my tutor forums from now on.

Alas, it seems that a small percentage of fellow students think they're on the Jeremy Kyle show and think they need to air their troubled life stories in relation to Every Single Topic that comes up. Whereas sharing experiences in context is quite informative, projecting a past situation on to every possible scenario is annoying, attention seeking and bellend-y.

This same small percentage of students are semi-literate. I'm not wholly a grammar fascist, but I would've thought being able to write in sentences and spell simple words correctly would be a prerequisite of doing a degree level course. Some are already complaining that it's too much reading (it's bugger all reading), they don't like the way the course is structured (i.e they don't like thinking for themselves) and they might drop out. After week one.

One is complaining that they aren't getting a course grant because they got one last year and didn't finish the course. The OU is not a bloody charity here to offer money in exchange for a half-assed attempt at a course. Another is complaining that the grant isn't enough to buy a PC. For the record, the grant (which is for stationery, books and travel) is £275. The course books are no more than £50 brand new and only the exam is compulsory for travel. If you don't have a PC, distance learning is probably not going to work.

It is like looking at a facebook war every day. I cannot be arsed.

I know, I know, I'm a massive snob. But these people are all adults and acting like schoolchildren, with a total disregard for netiquette.

Anyway, my first week has actually gone well. I've been staying at my parents and haven't been able to make my DVD work on their computer, but I've been downloading the mp3s off the site. I'm halfway through unit 1 (which is on care within families and consists of a lot of Scottish people bellowing at each other) I need to write my notes up properly. The reading has taken me about 5 hours over the week, thus far. I'm quite happy with it all.

2 comments:

  1. Give it a few weeks and the losers will've dropped out. Then you can use the forums again! And if I ever hear/read you say 'netiquette' ever again I'm coming over to kick your ass. Lav! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. My forum used to be full of people laughing at Prof. Cox for making physics a bit too accessible. I mean, he's on the telly, he can't be smart. He certainly can't have done this very same module as us TWENTY YEARS AGO. Stop being an elitist twat and let people enjoy a program that has some substance behind it, yeah?

    ReplyDelete