14 Sept 2011

Conceptual memory and schemas

Evidently, our minds hold information more readily if it's split into categories. The example given in the course is a random list of words, which are remembered more easily if you already know that the words fall under one of four categories, of which you are given the names.
Schemas follow on from this, as your mind forms and then stores information into categories (schemata), as you go along.

My mind is a maverick and refuses to conform to this ideal of conceptual memory. I have a massive knowledge of medical terminology, primarily because I understand the latin prefixes, roots and suffixes, but also because I picture the body part or procedure when I am remembering the word. Colonostomy? Mmm, bag in the colon! Rhinoplasty? Change that nose!
I once remembered the entire skeletal system by re-learning the old "Knee bone connected to the thigh bone" song with the proper words in place of knee bone. My ability to name almost anything in terminology gets annoying - ask my boyfriend.

No. Not like that.

I've always had trouble learning things systematically. Taking the terminology idea, you're SUPPOSED to learn it by body system. Therefore, all the bones and fractures are learned under the skeletal system etc. When I've done courses on terminology, and given courses on terminology, this is how I've learnt/taught it, but it's not how I hold the information myself. My memory of it is far less specific and visualised.

So, I have a visual memory. I suppose that's good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment